The T-27 was based on the British Carden-Loyd Mk VI. It was designed by N. Kosyrev. The work was done at the Zavod Nr 37 in Moscow.
The small size required that the crew be usually comprised of men that had a small stature.
Communicated via flag.
The commander and the driver sat side by side. The commander operated the air cooled 7.62 mm MG.
Starting in 1932 the T-27 was modified by having the fighting compartment lengthened which resulted in the addition of a pair of roadwheels on each side.
The separate hatches for the crew were connected that allowed for them to open over the whole width of the T-27.
The armor plate was extended to cover the tracks and this allowed for additional storage.
The engine was placed between the driver and the commander.