The T-100 was to meet the requirements that were put forth by the Directorate of Armed Forces (ABTU) in November 1937. These requirements called for a tank that could withstand shots from a 76.2 mm gun from 3,937' / 1,200 m. It was also to be powered by a diesel engine as it was felt petrol resulted in too large of fires when hit. The requirements also called for a tank with five turrets.
The T-100 was designed by a team led by N. Barykov at the Bolshevik Factory's Experimental Design Mechanical Section (OKMO), in Leningrad.
The turret had a 76.2 mm gun and the front turret a 45 mm gun which was nearly the same layout as the SMK.