The Da Barbiano class were built to be able to handle the French contre-torpilleurs (Jaguar class, Lion class, and Aigle class) that were armed with 5.1" guns. To have superior speed the Da Barbiano class sacrificed armor.
These were built under the 1927 - 1928 Program.
There was one explosive charged catapult to launch the aircraft. The Cant 25 AR was initially carried. These were replaced by the Imam Ro 43.
||Rate of Fire
|6" / 152.4 mm L/53 Ansaldo 1926
152 mm L/53 Mod 1926
|24,700 yards at 45°
|3.9" / 100 mm L/47 OTO 1927
The 3.9" guns were located between the funnels.
Except for the Di Giussano all in the Da Barbiano class could lay mines.
The starboard shaft was powered by two forward boiler rooms and the port shaft was powered by the aft boiler rooms.