In 1938 the Ala Littoria first started using the SM.75s.
Pilots N. Prota and G. Bertocco flew a SM.75 at a speed record of 207 mph over a 621 mile course and 205 mph over a 1,242 mile course while carrying 22,000 lb on January 9, 1939.
When World War II broke out the Italian Air Force took over the civilian aircraft.
Some of the transports were used as bombers.
In June 1940 thirteen SM.75s were taken over from civilian use and assigned to the 601a - 603a Squadriglie of the 147° Gruppo "T" at Littorio.
In September 1943 the only remaining SM.87 was flown to join the Co-Belligerent Air Force.
After World War II
Some of the SM. 75s survived World War II and remained in use until 1949.