With the invasion of Russia, and their tanks that were encountered, it was found that there was a need for mobile anti-tank firepower.
The Marder II was developed from the conversion of the PzKpfw II chassis. Even though the PzKpfw II was obsolete it was decided to continue production of the chassis so as to not waste the time and materials it would have taken to convert the production lines.
The driver's compartment was located in the front, the fighting in the middle, and the engine at the rear. The fighting compartment had the top open. The main armament was put behind 10 mm armor.
These were designated the 7.62 cm FK 296(r). Most of the guns were rechambered so that they could use the new anti-tank round used in the 75 mm PaK 40/2 gun. These were designated the 7.62 cm Pak 36(r).
The Marder II was used in Tunisia in 1943.
The crew was often reduced by one to reduce manpower by 1944.
Infra-red searchlights were sometimes installed to allow the Marder II to be used at night. These units were primarily used on the Eastern Front.