The Königsberg (Kreuzer B) was ordered for construction on March 28, 1925, to replace the Thetis, the Karlsruhe (Kreuzer C) on May 21, 1926, to replace the Medusa, and the Köln (Kreuzer C) on October 25, 1927, to replace the Arcona.
Electric welding was used in the construction to save on weight.
There was one catapult to launch the aircraft. However, the Treaty of Versailles prohibited their mounting.
The aircraft that were eventually carried were the He 60 and then the Ar 196.
In 1940 the Köln conducted helicopter trials.
The Königsberg class was the first German cruisers to use a triple turret. There were two turrets aft and they were set off center.
||Rate of Fire
|15 cm SK C/25
Originally having all diesel engines was considered however, at the time, diesels weren't powerful enough. Instead standard turbine engines were installed that gave the main power and the diesels were intended for cruising. They were not used at the same time. However, the concept wasted a lot of space.