The Heinkel He 177 was the only strategic bomber developed by the Germans.
The RLM went to Heinkel with a requirement for a heavy bomber. It was to carry two tons of bombs up to 1,000 miles at 340 mph. Siegfried Günther was the chief designer of the He 177.
One of the limitations on the design of the He 177 was that it was supposed to be able to do 60° diving attacks.
Due to the unreliability of the He 177's engines it was nicknamed the "flying coffin" by it's crews.
The nose glazing allowed for excellent forward visibility for the crew. There was a 7.9 mm MG 81 with 2,000 rounds that could be fired from the cockpit.
The bombardier used a FuG 203 transmitter that took the inputs from a joystick in the under nose gondola that directed the Hs 293 or FX 1400 missile. The missiles had flares in the tail to help the bombardier visually follow its flight.
Originally all the gun turrets were to be remotely controlled but they were replaced by manned positions which added weight.
The forward turret was remotely controlled by the gunner that sat under a dome above the flight deck. This turret has two MG 131s with 1,500 rounds total.
The tail gunner sat under the rudder with a MG 151.
The exhausts, fuel lines, and oil lines were crammed together in a very small space which contributed to the engine fires that plagued the He 177.
The prototype Heinkel He 177 had four DB 601 engines (1,000 HP) mounted in pairs and known as the DB 606.
Initially there was an advanced cooling system for the engines, but this was scrapped and bigger radiators were used. This caused more drag, so more fuel was needed, which lead to strengthening the fuselage which made the aircraft heavier and reduced performance for the He 177.
The propellers were 14' 10" / 4.52 m in diameter.