The LVTs were made from a design that was intended to be used in swamps in Florida. The LVT-2 was designed to improve upon the LVT-1 which was inadequate.
In early 1942 the LVT-2 was introduced and produced at Food Machinery and Chemical Corps Riverside, California facility so it wouldn't interfere with LVT-1 construction.
Construction of sheet steel. Machine gun rails were mounted all around vehicle. Two escape/ventilation hatches in the front which open downward.
The LVT-2 had an improved suspension and the grousers were made from aluminum. This made it easier for the tracks to be changed.
The transmission and engine were the same as used in the M3 light tank. The cargo area was limited as the engine was located at the rear.