The Sangamon class were converted from T3 fleet oilers that were originally built in 1939. These oilers were reclassified as Aircraft Escort Vessels (AVG) in January 1942.
There were openings amidships that allowed for ventilation as the Sangamon's were still used to refuel other ships.
There were two elevators in the flight deck.
One catapult was initially installed and in 1944 a second was added.