The Atlanta class were designed to be anti-aircraft cruisers.
These are the dates the ships were ordered:
- April 25, 1939: CL-51 - CL-54
- September 9, 1940: CL-95 - CL-98
- August 7, 1942: CL-119 - CL-121. On September 27, 1943, the contract for construction was transferred to Federal at Kearny from Bethlehem at San Francsico.
The CL-95 - CL-98 ships had no control towers, boats, or cranes. The bridge was also open.
The quad mount torpedo tubes were from the Sims class of destroyers.
There were two rooms with two boilers each.