Even though Sweden was neutral, it had to defend itself as there was fighting all around it. Unable to bring in American fighters Sweden decided to design and produce them on their own. The government owned Flygforvaltningens Flygverkstad (Air board workshop) or FFVS was setup at Ulvsunda. The FFVS J 22 was a result of this need.
The design work on the F.F.V.S. J 22 started on January 1, 1941.
The J 22 was made of a steel frame and wood construction.
The engine was an unlicensed copy of the Pratt & Whitney R-1830-SC-3-G Twin Wasp. Later a license was purchased.