The T-40 was created during 1940 as a replacement for the T-37 and T-38. Earlier light tanks were vulnerable to machine gun fire and to shell splinters so N. A. Astrov, at a research department of Zavod Nr 37, was instructed to design to new light tanks to overcome these difficulties. One of these new models was to be amphibious.
To speed up production as many parts of the T-40 came from car and trucks parts.
In the Water
It had a 4-blade ship's propeller and was steered by two rudders. Had a welded body and the hull resembled a boat's. There were additional float chambers installed at the rear to improve its performance in water. The hatches were hermetically sealed.
The turret was mounted to the left with external roller mantlets. The main weapon in the turret was the 12.7 mm DSchK 38 machine gun and it had a coaxial 7.62 mm DT machine gun.
||BST (armor piercing)
||8 mm @ 60°
The T-40's engine and gearbox were based on an automobile's. It was the GAZ 202 which could produce 85 HP.