In 1938 a modernization program for Soviet armored vehicles was put in place. The initial design work for the BA-10 had already started but development increased.
Early versions had 37 mm or a 12.7 mm DShK machine gun as main armament.
Tracks or chains could be placed over the pair of wheels on each side to help with traction in mud and snow. The spare wheels were placed so that they could help when an obstacle had to be gone over.
After 1942 some had turrets removed and used as personnel carriers.
The BA-10 used a T-30 round welded turret.
The driver and front machine gunner (radio operator) were in the middle of the body.
The BA-10's commander and gunner were in the turret.
It used the chassis of the GAZ-AAA 6 wheeled truck. The chassis of the BA-10 was shortened and strengthened to handle the weight of the armor. The body was all welded.
The engine was located at the front of the BA-10.