Pavel Osipovich Sukhoi designed the Su-2 in 1936.
The production version was initially known as the BB-1, but in 1941 it was changed to the Su-2.
A photo turret could be installed on the starboard side.
The cockpit had a raised sliding canopy for the pilot. Heat was fed through the pilot's seat via a pipeline that ran along the starboard side.
The navigator / gunner was protected by 0.5" / 9 mm of armor.
The wings were all metal. To reduce drag the outer sections of the wings of the Su-2 were flush riveted.
Under the wings there could be 550 lb / 250 kg of bombs mounted.
The bomb bay could carry up to 882 lb / 600 kg of bombs.
The Su-2's fuselage was constructed of wood with a load bearing skin.
At the rear of the fuselage there was a Duralumin constructed escape hatch. Sometimes a MG would be fitted to provide additional protection from the rear.
The propeller was a variable pitch VlSh-23.
Initially the Su-2 had a M.88 radial engine (950 HP). After the first 100 aircraft were constructed a M.82 (1,400 HP) was installed.