|Foreign Tanks In Slovakian Service|
|Number of tanks bought from Germany|
|1941||LT vz 40||21|
Slovakia was formed in March 1939 from the eastern provinces of Czechoslovakia under the leadership of Josef Tiso. The Hlinka Guards, a party militia, was formed.
The Slovak army was made up from the 3rd Mobile Division and the 9th, 10th, 11th, 15th, 16th, and 17th Infantry Divisions. On May 2, 1939, it was organized to have 5 infantry regiments and 6 independent infantry battalions. By August 29, 1939, the regiments were formed into 3 infantry divisions.
The new Slovak Fast Division was made up of armor that was part of the Czechoslovakian 3rd Fast Division that left 79 LT vz 35 tanks in the Levice area.
In March 1939 Slovakia had a border dispute with Hungary and lost one LT vz 35.
Slovak forces participated in the invasion of Poland in 1939 and were given 30 CKD vz 33 tankettes and 13 OA vz 30 armored cars.
On August 11, 1941, the 1st Slovak Division and the Pilfousek Fast Brigade were merged to form the Slovak Fast Division under the command of Rudolf Pilfousek. It was part of the German 17th Army. It fought at Lvov, Kiev, and was nearly destroyed by the Soviet counter attacks at Stalingrad. In 1943 it was withdrawn from active fighting, disarmed, and disbanded because of desertion and loyalty problems with the Germans.
In August 1944 there was an uprising against the Germans. The uprising was defeated before they could link with the Russians.