In 1937 the Dutch navy issued a specification for a twin engine seaplane capable of carrying a torpedo internally and optionally bombs. In 1938 Fokker created a twin engine sea plane that would be used by the Dutch navy.
The skin was of composite materials on the Fokker T.VIII.
The engines powered two bladed metal propellers.
The Fokker T.VIII-W had a mid wing with the two engines. Two large duralumin floats were located underneath.
The observer for the T.VIII-W was located in a glazed nose.
The radio operator was located in the compartment behind the pilot and controlled a flexible machine gun. The pilot controlled a machine gun that was installed in a half wing.