These were fully tracked tanks. Designed as a reconnaissance and support vehicle for calvary units. The first prototype appeared in 1932 from the Ishikawajima Motor Works. Box like hull with sponsons overhanging track. 3 twin wheeled bogies. Hull was welded with some components riveted. The driver was on the left of the front of the hull and the 12.7 mm MG gunner on the right. Used in small numbers.
Later production vehicles had 4 larger spoked wheels in place of the 6 small boggie wheels.