The development of the Type 2 Ka-Mi began back in the 1930s. The Navy took over amphibious tank development from the army in 1940. Their first design was the Ka-Mi which appeared in 1942. These were virtually hand built and thus not enough were produced for demand.
The Type 2 Ka-Mi's chassis was based on the Type 95 Ha-Go. It retained the wheels, tracks, suspension, and tracks.
It had two pontoons installed in the front and rear that were bolted on. They could be released from the inside of the Type 2.
The front sponson was divided into 8 compartments to minimize flooding from damage. All welded construction. Had 2 propellers and was steered by 2 rudders which were controlled by cables from the commander's position.
The Type 2 also had a bilge pump and the road wheels had drain holes. Often there were barriers placed around the grills on the top of the engine to help prevent water from entering.
There was also a radio and telephone intercom for the crew. There was a mechanic that looked after the power that went to the propellers.
The 37 mm gun could fire a 1.5 lb AP shell at a muzzle velocity of 2,300'/sec.