As part of the 8-6 Fleet Project the Hosho was ordered.
Hosho was / was not the first carrier to be designed and built from the keel up.
Hosho was designed as a combination seaplane and aircraft carrier on a light cruiser hull.
The Hosho was to have a sister ship, the Shokaku, but it was cancelled due to the limitations of the Washington Treaty.
Initially there was an island on the starboard side along with three funnels. The funnels could be lowered during flight operations.
There was a system of lights and mirrors along the flight deck to help with landings.
There were two elevators in the deck. The forward elevator was 26' x 33' and the aft 43' x 28'.
The flight deck was widened and lengthened in 1944.
In 1923 the island was removed making the Hosho flush decked.
Outboard of the hangar were four 5.5" guns. The flight deck had two 3" anti-aircraft guns.
Once World War II started the 5.5" guns were removed and eight 25 mm anti-aircraft guns added.
By the end of the war there were only six 25 mm anti-aircraft guns mounted.
The hangar was 300' long and initially held 21 planes. Capacity was reduced to eleven planes as planes became larger.