The Tenryu class of light cruisers were authorized to be built under the 1916 Program / New Naval Construction Program of 1916. Both were to cost a total of ¥9.1 million.
Their intended purpose were to be flagships for destroyer squadrons.
There were plans to convert the Tenryu class ships into anti-aircraft cruisers in 1937 - 1938 but there were other priorities for construction and it didn't happen.
As the four guns were placed on the same level, their was only forward and aft gun that could fire those directions. The other two guns had limited arcs due to their placement.
The Tenryu class were the first Japanese ships to use triple tube mounts for the torpedoes.
There were two rails that carried 24 mines each.
There was one small space and two larger spaces where the boilers were located. The forward small space had two small boilers, the middle room had four large boilers, and the aft boiler room had two oil burning and two mixed burning boilers.
The outside shafts were propelled by the forward turbine room and the center shaft by the aft turbine room.