The Takao class were ordered under the 1927 / 1927 - 1931 Reinforcement Program. The Takao class were designed by Constructor Captain Fujimoto.
The bridge of the Takao class contained all the fire control and communication equipment used on the ships. Armor was increased from the Myôkô class.
Electric welding and light alloys were used to help reduce weight.
All of the Takao class ships were to be able to serve as Squadron flagships during war and Fleet flagships when at peace.
There were two Kure Type 2 Model 3 catapults for the aircraft.
To help prevent the loss of the ship to an explosion the torpedo tubes were located on the upper deck.
A torpedo could be fired every three minutes.
The main armament was able to fire at aircraft. It was designed to elevate to 70° but could only go as high as 55°. The guns also had to lower to 5° to load.