The Italo-Turkish war started on September 29, 1911, and delayed production of the Cavour class battleships. By the time they were finished they were obsolete.
The Giulio Cesare tested two catapults but they were eventually removed.
It was decided to use a 12" gun as it was felt that it was all the larger an Italian battleship at the time needed. Also, Italian industry wasn't able to build such a large gun so they were purchased from other countries.
The 12" L/46 Armstrong M1909 could fire a 997 lb shell at a maximum elevation of 20°. The 4.7" L/50 Elswick Pattern EE BL gun could fire a 50 lb shell.
After modernization in 1933 the guns were re-bored to 12.59" and could fire a 1,155 lb / 1,157 lb shell out to 31,000 yards / 31,280 yards at an elevation of 27°. There were new 4.7" L/50 OTO M1933 guns that could fire a 52 lb shell at an elevation of 42°. The 3.9: OTO M1928 could fire a 30 lb round out to 16,610 yards / 16,670 yards.
Initially the boilers were mixed firing in the Conte di Cavour and the Giulio Cesare had half mixed firing and and the other half oil fired.
There was a forward and an aft boiler room.