First action was in the defense of Rome in 1943. The 353a Squadriglia was the first one to receive the G.55s.
Serafino Agostini, a Fiat test pilot, flew a British POW to safety in a G.55.
Only 30 of the G.55s became operational before the Armistice.
After the Italian Armistice
After the Italian government surrendered to the Allies some (150) G.55s were used by the Aviazione Nazionale Repubblicana (Fascist Republic Air Arm).
After the War
In the 1950s it was produced and was used by the Aeronautica Militare Italiana (AMI). These were used by Argentina, Egypt, Israel, and Syria. Around 100 G.55s were sold to Argentina and Syria.