In 1931 Ing. Secondo Campini started work on reaction propulsion. It took eight years of experimentation before a power unit was built.
The prototype was built at Caproni Taliedo in 1940.
The Caproni-Campini N1 may have never been intended for military use.
The Caproni N1 was of an all metal construction.
It was propelled by a radial engine that drove a compressor. Fuel injectors heated the air that provided the thrust.