In 1935 the War Office conducted tests on a commercial trucks that were modified by Bedford.
The chassis had its ground clearance increased.
Originally the Bedford MWD was to carry 2 pdr antitank guns.
The engine hood was to be full width as to hold a large air filter.
Early production models had a canvas top and could fold down the windshield. This was later replaced by an enclosed cab.
In 1937 the prototype for the Bedford MWD first appeared.
After more rounds of modifications and tests an order was finally placed in August 1939 for 2,000.
Used by all branches of the British military.
The Bedford 15 cwt trucks were used well into the 1950s.