Developed from a private venture by Major Gifford Le Q. Martel in Camberley. This tankette was designed to be a mobile MG platform.
Mass production started in 1927 and by 1930, 270 had been delivered to the British Army.
Sometimes carried the Stokes mortar.
MG had limited traverse as it was intended to be transported by, not fired from, the vehicle.The tripod for the MG was mounted on the front of the hull.
Some models towed the 37 mm howitzer or 20 mm Oerlikon antitank gun.
A GS trailer was available to carry ammunition for the weapons.
Exported to Czechoslovakia, France, Italy, Japan, Poland, and Russia where it influenced designs there.Canada and India also received them.