The British Army was starting to form its first armored division in the 1930s and needed a scout car for reconnaissance and liason.
In 1938 the Mechanization Board had Alvis Limited, BSA Cycles Limited, and Morris Commercial Cars Limited submit prototypes for a turretless scouting vehicle. Out of three designs submitted the one from BSA's was selected. BSA was later taken over by Daimler car company.
Early models had 4 wheel steering and for the inexperienced drivers it was difficult to drive. Had front wheel drive, sliding roof over the crew, and a potbelly cab. The engine was placed in the rear and the driver was positioned at an angle to help him drive in both directions.
It had a 5-speed pre-selector gearbox which provided drive to all wheels. The gearbox had a fluid flywheel and a single-speed transfer box with diffential.
The crew of the Daimler Dingo sat side by side in the crew compartment.
The main armament for the Daimler Dingo was a Bren machine gun, but often crews modified the armament in the field.