The Beaufort was used by Australia, Britain, Canada, and Turkey.
The Bristol Beaufort was the main torpedo bomber of the RAF from 1940 to 1943 until it was replaced by the Beaufighter. The Beaufort was primarily used as a bomber and mine layer.
The Beauforts were grounded for two months starting in May 1940 due to engine difficulties with the Taurus.
The No. 22 Squadron was outfitted with the first Beauforts in December 1939. They were used on a mine laying operation on the night of August 15 and 16, 1940.
The first 2,000 lb / 907 kg bomb was dropped on May 7, 1940.
Coastal Command Squadrons
Beauforts were first delivered to the Coastal Command in December 1939.
There were six Coastal Command squadrons outfitted in the United Kingdom and four in the Middle East.
Gneisenau and Scharnhorst
The Beauforts were used to attack the Gneisenau and Scharnhorst in Brest harbor on April 6, 1941. Flying Officer K. Campbell, No 22 Squadron, was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross.
They were also used during the "Channel Dash" when Beauforts were used to attack the Gneisenau and Scharnhorst in February 1942.
Beauforts were used in the North Sea against the Prinz Eugen in May 1942.
Axis convoys were the main target of the Beaufort in the Mediterranean.
The No. 217 Squadron had the last sortie of the Beaufort from Ceylon in September 1944.
Two factories in Australia assembled Beauforts that used pieced that were produced throughout Australia. These were under the supervision of the Department of Aircraft Production.
The engines were licensed built Twin Wasps by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation.
The Beauforts that were constructed were to be used by the Royal Air Force (RAF) and the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).
The first Australian built Beaufort was flown in May 1941. The final delivery was in September 1944.
Some of the first Beauforts produced were sent to Singapore after the Japanese attacks.
Ten RAAF squadrons were equipped with the Beaufort.
The RAAF Beauforts were withdrawn from service in 1946.