The Westland Whirlwinds only equipped two squadrons, the 263 and 137 Nos Squadrons. The No. 263 Squadron received their Whirlwinds in December 1940 and the No. 137 Squadron in September 1941. The Whirlwinds were replaced at the end of 1943.
The Whirlwind was used with success against ships and ground targets. Bomb laden Whirlwinds were called "Whirlibombers" by their pilots.
In August 1941 Whirlwinds shot down four Bf. 109s and sunk an E-Boat.
The first time the British public learned of the Whirlwind was in a German magazine.
Scharnhorst and Gneisenau Attacks
The Whirlwinds participated in the attacks in February 1941 on the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.