Came after the PzKpfw V Ausf D, and was introduced late in the summer of 1944. MAN, Daimler-Benz, MNH and DEMAG built this model. Stronger wheel fixing (24 bolts vs. 16 bolts).
The AP round weighed 15 lbs and had a muzzle velocity of 3,066'/sec.
Armored aprons were installed for the top of the tracks. Zimmerit was also applied. There were four exhaust pipes that were mounted differently than the Ausf D.
Zimmerit was added to all new Panthers starting in September 1943 through September 1944, at which time it was discontinued as it was felt that it was unnecessary .
Had better vision with episcopes rather than vision slits. Ball mounted hull machine gun for the radio operator.
Later models had the turret modified. The side gun ports and the left side loading hatch were eliminated. Nahverteidgungswaffe close-in defense weapon was installed.
There was now an armored cupola in the turret. The cupola was cast and had seven periscopes. There was also a mount for an AA MG to be installed.
The gunner had a monocular sight.