The first 20 were finished in November 1942. They had the commanders cupola that stuck out on the right side of the turret. Sometimes known as the D1. Hull gunner had MG 34 which fired through a vertical flap.
These 20 had only 60 mm of armor in the glacis plate and a Maybach HL-210 engine. It weighed 34.4 tons.
From 21 on, they had thicker armor and the Maybach HL-230 engine. It weighed 44 tons.