Thirty Panzerbefehlswagen were built between June 1938 and March 1939 and were based on the PzKpfw III Ausf D chassis. There was a frame aerial for the FuG 8 (radio) installed above the engine compartment, however in 1943 this was replaced by pole type aerials. Thirty nine of these were available in the Panzer divisions in 1940. These were designated SdKfz 266 and FuG 6 and 2 were installed, SdKfz 267 had the FuG 6 and 8 sets installed, and SdKfz 268 had the FuG 6 and 7 sets installed. It did have a MG34 mounted in the mantlet.
The turret didn't rotate and had a dummy gun placed in it so it would be less likely to be recognized as a command tank which would make it a primary target on the battlefield.
There were tables added that were used for maps. Without the gun it allowed for the additional radio equipment to be installed.
There was the commander, adjutant, driver and two soldiers to operate the radios.