Daimler-Benz received contracts in 1938 to equip Germany's four light divisions with PzKpfw IIs.
The hull was a scaled down version of the hull being used in the PzKpfw III that Daimler-Benz was also producing.
In 1939, the German Army converted 90 (95) of them to Flammpanzer II Flamingo flamethrower tanks.
Four road wheels mounted on torsion bars on each side.
The tracks and the torsion bar suspension were new.