After the British first used tanks in combat on September 15, 1916, the German Army wanted a similar vehicle. The Allgemeine Kriegsdepartement 7, Abteilung Verkehrswesen (General War Department 7, Traffic Section) obtained an American Holt tractor to study the feasibility of making it into a weapon.
There were two Daimler 4 cylinder engines installed.
The 5.7 cm Sokol was a captured Russian gun. It was mounted in the central front of the tank.
The armor was poorly constructed and joints poorly made to where bullet splash would sometimes get through the joints.
The superstructure was a large steel box.
The chassis was a tractor's.
The six machine guns were manned by 2 crewman each.