There was a need for improved cross-country performance to replace the SdKfz 231 (6 Rad) and development was ordered in 1934 and started in 1935.2,3 Designated Versuchskraftfahrzeug (experimental vehicle) 623 and 624. In mid-1937 was designated SdKfz 233 & 234 and then in October 1939 was called SdKfz 231 & 232 (8 rad).
The SdKfz 231 (8-Rad) was built upon a Büssing-NAG 8x8 truck chassis.2 The chassis was rather complex and expensive to produce.2 It provided all wheel drive and steering with independent suspension.2,5
The engine was placed in the rear of the chassis.5
Steering wheels and controls are provided for each direction in the SdKfz 231 (8 Rad).3,5 Steering was done by all wheels.3 Each wheel had its own suspension.3,5
The seats for the commander and gunner were attached to a hand traversed turret.
Early in 1940 an 8mm plate was to the front of many of the models.