First appeared in 1938 and was adopted by the German Army as the standard armored car for reconnaissance units.
Was issued to the Panzerspähwagen squadrons of the Aufklärungs battalions.
Was issued to the Panzerspähwagen squadrons of light, Panzer, and motorized infantry divisions.
The SdKfz 222 was used widely in the invasion of France and was well liked by its crews.
The SdKfz 222 was limited in range, while in North Africa, due to it not being able to carry much fuel.
With the lack of range that the SdKfz 222 had, it was replaced by the SdKfz 250/9 half track which was better suited for the large spaces in the Soviet Union.
Before 1939 SdKfz 222s were sold to China.