The order for Kreuzer E was placed on October 25, 1927 / 1928.
Initially the Kreuzer E the Leipzig was a modified K class that had just a single funnel. The aft turrets were also placed along the center line and not offset.
Electric welding was used extensively to save weight.
There were two aircraft that were launched by a single catapult. Initially, the aircraft were the He 60 / He 60C.
There were four MAN diesels that drove the center shaft. The propeller for the center could be feathered to reduce drag. It could be used in combination with the turbines or by itself.