During the 1930s the Germans wanted a squad level mortar. Rheinmetall-Borsig AG designed a mortar where the barrel was permanently attacked to the baseplate and a monopod (instead of the normal bipod) was attached.
It was first issued in 1936. Until 1938 the mortar had a telescopic site mounted, but this was unnecessary at the ranges the mortar was used.
There was a handle in the barrel that allowed a single man to carry it. Another man carried the ammunition.
The baseplate was placed on the ground and the adjustments were made using a coarse and fine control knobs. Firing was done by a trigger.
Most soldiers thought it was too heavy and complex to fire the small 50 mm bomb.
The 5-cm leGrW 36 was expensive in the amount of raw materials that were used to produce the weapon. Based on this, in 1941 production ceased.
Most of the mortars were taken from front line units and passed on to second line or garrison untis. Many were used in the defenses of the Atlantic Wall.
The Italian army also received some.
|5-cm leGrW 36|
|Length of gun||18.3"
|Length of bore||13.78"
|Length of rifling|
|Weight in action||30.8 lb
|Elevation||+42° to +90°|
|Range of shell||569 yards
|Shell weight||1.98 lb