In 1931 requirements were given for a series of reconnaissance vehicles. The AMR (Automitrailleuse de Reconnaissance) was to have a crew of 2 and a 7.5 mm machine gun. The AMR was to be supported by the AMC.
Five prototypes were built, each with a slightly different suspension system. The one with 4 rubber tired road wheels mounted on bell crank scissor articulators with horizontal rubber springing was selected for production in 1933.
After the trials 123 were ordered in 1933.
The hull was riveted with the driver at the front and the commander in the turret. The turret was offset to the left of the hull and the engine to the right.
Used in cavalry regiments and with reconnaissance troops.