The MS 406 was used by Croatia (44), Finland (40 / 87), France, Germany, Italy (52), Switzerland (2), and Turkey (30).
First Public Appearance
The M.S.406 was first shown at the Brussels Air Show in 1937.
In December 1938 the first operational unit received the M.S.406.
Start of World War II
By September 1939 there were almost 600 M.S.406s constructed. Twelve units were equipped with the M.S.406.
Invasion of France
37 M.S.406s were lost on the first day of the invasion of France at Cambrai, Damblain, Vitry, and Le Quesnoy.
M.S.406 pilots claimed to have shot down 175 / 191 enemy aircraft, but they lost over 400 of their own. 150 M.S.406s were shot down, 100 destroyed on the ground, and 50 were destroyed by ground crews so they wouldn't be captured.
There were 14 groupes de chasse equipped with the M.S. 406.
On June 8, 1940, a single M.S.406 shot down three Messerschmitt Bf 109s in 15 seconds.
Finland replaced the Hispano-Suiza engine in the M.S. 406s that they received with a Morko Moraani and the performance of the fighter was much improved.
289 EFW D-3800 fighters were produced by the Swiss based on the M.S. 406.
One unit used the M.S. 406s with the Vichy France air force.
Croatia received some of the surrendered M.S.406s.