First deliveries of the Farman F.222 to operational squadrons was in early 1937.
There were three Armée de l'Air groups that were equipped with the F.222s by September 1939. Two of them were in France and the other in Africa.
The F.222s were initially used to drop leaflets and then for bombing western Germany. The BMW plant in Munich was one of the targets.
The F.222s were used for ocean patrol and bombing.
The NC.233 were the first Allied aircraft to bomb Berlin. It was a 13 hour 30 minute mission on the night of June 7 and June 8, 1940.
The Vichy used the F.222s for transports.
As late as 1944 the F.222s were still being used as transports in North Africa.